Mulawin vs. Ravena is a Filipino fantasy television series by GMA Network. It is a sequel to the movie sequel of the groundbreaking Mulawin telefantasya in 2004. It previously starred Richard Gutierrez as Aguiluz, Alwina by Angel Locsin, Dennis Trillo as Gabriel, Aviona by Bianca King, Ara Mina as Vultra/Violeta/Veronica, and Savanna by Karen delos Reyes. It was set to air on May 22, 2017.
Connection to Encantadia
Mulawin vs Ravena opens possibilities of a crossover wherein, Encantadia characters will appear in the show just like in Mulawin (2004) wherein Ynang Reyna Mine-a and Muyak appeared and the Sang'gres, Ybarro, and other notable Encantadia characters (such as Banak, Nakba, Awoo, and Imaw) appeared in Mulawin the Movie. Its universe is however tied with Encantadia (2005-2006 Series) and not Encantadia (2016), although, the possibility that it is somehow tied to the 2016 series was increased when the series started airing, as Lireo (2016)'s sigil was seen during a council meeting in Avila.
Fans theorize casts from the 2005 series such as Diana Zubiri - Danaya (2005) or Sunshine Dizon - Pirena (2005) could appear, however, Sunshine is possibly not available because she is busy with her afternoon primetime show "Ika-6 Na Utos". It may also be possible that the 2016 cast would appear instead. It is yet to be determined what story arc of Encantadia did Mulawin vs Ravena take place. Since Mulawin: The Movie took place in the early days of Amihan (2005)'s reign it is possible that it is at Etheria (Book 2) or at the events at the end of Book 2 where it set off.
Crossover with Encantadia
It was announced 17 July 2017 on both 24 Oras and the social media accounts of Encantadia, Mulawin Vs Ravena and GMA that Pirena and Lira will appear in Mulawin vs Ravena and the casting is from the 2016 series since Sunshine Dizon (Pirena 2005) is busy with Ika-6 Na Utos and Jennylyn Mercado (Lira 2005) is busy with My Love From The Star respectively. It is unknown if they will follow the 2005 plot or the 2016 plot wherein the story of the Mulawins was alternated.
In the beginning, there was only the Sky, Water, and Land. Bathalang Mandarangan, the creator of all things, married the Diyosa Sandawa and had three offsprings who protected/safeguarded the Sky, Water, and Land. Namely Magindara, Lumad, and Dakila. Magindara, the first-born, is tasked to safeguard the Waters, she lives in Lake Venado which is near Mt. Apo and Tierra Fuego. Lumad, the second born, is tasked to safeguard the domain of Land and later also the warmth and light from the Sun and Fire element. While Dakila, the third offspring, is tasked to safeguard the sky; he was different from his siblings, he was gifted with wings.
Lumad marries a human and becomes mortal. They had offsprings who establish a tribe of nature-loving but fiery men who have considered forests and surroundings of Mt. Apo their home. This tribe would eventually splinter into many other tribes of indigenous people, and collectively, they would be called Lumads, in memory of their common ancestor.
Magindara chooses not to marry or fall in love with a mortal upon the strict advice of her mother Sandawa. Marrying a mortal would mean embracing mortality, and Sandawa does not want her daughter Magindara, her only remaining companion, to follow the footsteps of Dakila and Lumad. Magindara, like her mother, has remained immortal as a mermaid, guarding the waters of Lake Venado.
Dakila also becomes mortal. He later establishes a kingdom for his kind, which he named Avila, it is located at the very top of Mt. Apo. They have called themselves Mulawin. Though humans have caused the destruction of the forests, forcing Avians out of their own habitat, Dakila and most of the Mulawins have maintained their benevolence towards humans. This does not sit well with a faction of Mulawins headed by Ravenum. They decide to breakaway and attack the townsfolk of Tierra Fuego and the rest of the world in revenge, however, Ravenum dies and his son Rasmus forms their own tribe called Ravena in remembrance of his father and established a kingdom called Halconia in the volcanic mines located inside a sleeping volcano found in a hidden valley.
Since then, Mulawins and Ravenas have been at war, fighting each other over humans. (Lakan told this in his appearance in Encantadia, that they own the third entrance to the portal from humans to Encantadia that's why they maintained close relationship with humans.) Both Mulawin and Ravena have had histories of love affairs with human beings which resulted to producing half-blood offsprings (or so called Tabon in the Mulawin Lore) like: half-human, half-Mulawin Alwina and half-human, half-Ravena Gabriel. This dilution of their race has made Mulawins and Ravenas mortal like humans. And it is the desire for immortality that sets the stage for the new chapter of the Mulawin-Ravena saga; feuding realms for a fortunate fate.
Behind the Scenes
The first appearance of the Mulawin in 12 years happened in the 2016 requel of Encantadia starring Miguel Tanfelix as Pagaspas, the same actor who portrayed the same character in Mulawin (Book 1) and Mulawin: The Movie. It was followed by a special appearance of Alden Richards in the same series as Lakan, former leader of the Mulawin tribe in Encantadia. In the 2005 Encantadia series, the Mulawins also made several appearances including: Avilan, the former leader of the Mulawins serving as a spirit guide to Amihan, Dakila, King of the Mulawins at that time, and Bagwis, who was the Leader of the Mulawin Army at that time.
This show was first announced during GMA Network's New Year Countdown, with the official title as Mulawin VS Ravena as part of the network's line-up for 2017. Principal photography and filming are yet to be announced.
On November 2016, Popoy Caritativo, manager of actor Dennis Trillo posted an Instagram photo regarding his meeting with GMA Network executives including Cheryl Ching-Sy, AVP for Drama regarding the sequel of the hit 2004 series, Mulawin. Trillo was also present in the said meeting which was later revealed to topbill the upcoming series, in a yet to be determined role.
On December 2016, Alden Richards and Miguel Tanfelix who both appeared in the 2016 version of Encantadia as Lakan and Pagaspas respectively were also announced to be part of the show.
On January 16, 2017, most of the cast were announced by GMA Executive, Helen Sese which includes the Asia's songbird, Regine Velasquez.
On March 27, 2017, Lovi Poe, Heart Evangelista, Carla Abellana, Bea Binene, Bianca Umali, Miguel Tanfelix, Dennis Trillo, Derrick Monasterio, Kiko Estrada, and etc. were introduced in the 24 Oras News Program during the Chika Minute segment.
On 17 March 2017, the official Mulawin VS Ravena Twitter Account announced that the shoot for the series has started.
- Richard Guttierez as Aguiluz (Footage from Mulawin: The Movie and Mulawin Book 1)
- Angel Locsin as Alwina (Footage from Mulawin: The Movie and Mulawin Book 1)
- Kristel Fulgar as Young Alwina (Footage from Mulawin Book 1)
- Dennis Trillo as Gabriel (Footage from Mulawin: The Movie and Mulawin Book 1)
- Miguel Tanfelix as Young Pagaspas (Footage from Mulawin: The Movie and Mulawin Book 1)
- Sam Bumatay as Young Lawiswis (Footage from Mulawin: The Movie and Mulawin Book 1)
- Michael de Mesa as Ravenum (Footage from Mulawin: The Movie)
- "Unknown Actor" as Almiro (Footage from Mulawin: The Movie)
- Amy Austria as Lourdes (Footage from Mulawin Book 1)
- Karen delos Reyes as Savanna (Footage from Mulawin Book 1)
- Marc Justin Alvarez as Young Pagaspas
- Miguel Tanfelix as Pagaspas
- Althea Ablan as Young Lawiswis
- Bianca Umali as Lawiswis
- Tj Trinidad as Greco
- Dennis Trillo as Gabriel
- Heart Evangelista as Alwina
- Carla Abellana as Aviona
- Will Ashley as Young Almiro
- Derrick Monasterio as Almiro
- Leanne Amber Bautista as Young Anya
- Bea Binene as Anya
- Regine Velasquez-Alcasid as Sandawa
- Chynna Ortaleza as Rashana
- Dion Ignacio as Siklab
- Carl Acosta as Young Rafael
- Kiko Estrada as Rafael
- Roi Vinzon as Daragit
- Wynwyn Marquez as Ribay
- Lovi Poe as Magindara
- Ariel Rivera as Panabon
- Tom Rodriguez as Rodrigo
- Valerie Concepcion as Tuka
- David Licauco as Malik
- Angelu De Leon as Lourdes
- Bobby Andrews as Dionisio
- Joko Diaz as Antonio
- Charee Pineda as Savanna Montenegro
- Nova Villa as Consuelo
- Joey Paras as Dakdak
- Juan Rodrigo as Lumbas
- Jeff Carpio as Laab
- Carlon Matobato as Balatkayo
- "Unknown Actor" as Bagat
- Martin del Rosario as Aramis
- Dexter Doria as Rosing
- Shermaine Santiago as Maningning
- Kristoffer Martin as Libero
- Mike Lloren as Diosdado
- John Feir as Banoy
- JC Tiuseco as Tangos
- Elle Ramirez as Uyak
- Froilan Sales as Bagyo
- Lharby Policarpio as Pakdaw
- Kirst Viray as Noni
- Seth dela Cruz as Uwak-ak/Wak
- Caprice Mendez as Tagaktak/Tak
- Sherilyn Reyes as Lagrimas
- Jazz Ocampo as Marga
- Paolo Gumabao as Leroy
- Angela Evangelista as Riya
- Cai Cortez as Patty
- "Unknown Actor" as Vultra
- "Unknown Actor" as Bagwis
- "Unknown Actor" as Dakila
- Sir Noel Flores has said that Mulawin vs. Ravena is not a requel, but a sequel following the events at the end of Mulawin: The Movie; as Alwina and Aguiluz's son has now grown up and Gabriel has succeeded the throne of Halconia.
- In the 24 Oras on March 27, 2017 they have recapped the 2004 Mulawin series and the movie and also has announced most of the cast, including Alwina who will be played by Heart Evangelista.
- Dennis Trillo, who was one of the original casts in Mulawin back in 2004 will play again his character, Gabriel, who is now King of Halconia.
- Miguel Tanfelix, who was one of the original casts in Mulawin back in 2004 later reprises his role as Pagaspas.
- The Pagaspas from Encantadia 2016 is entirely different from the Pagaspas from Mulawin Book 1.
- The Title Card of the series seem to be wings of Mulawins and Ravenas rumbled together. Indicating a feud between the two races of Mulawins.